Friday, September 24, 2010

Book Review: The Wizard of Oz and Other Narcissists by Eleanor Payson

I didn't read this one for a few weeks after it was recommended to me because I didn't believe the label of "narcissist" applied to anyone in my life. And while I'm still pretty sure that no one in my life has the full blown Narcissistic Personality Disorder, I could pick out quite a few people (including myself) on the spectrum.

What I appreciate most about this book is that it doesn't just say, "Narcissists are bad, they will never change, get out or you're doomed." It gives practical tips for dealing with those in your life who have narcissistic tendencies, and, perhaps more importantly, explains the psychology behind why you keep hanging out with those types of people. I found it really helpful and practical, plus just a really interesting read.

No comments: