Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Doing The Work

I'm good at Doing The Work. I know that Doing The Work is the only way that you get results. And when I don't Do The Work, I know squarely where to place the blame. I Do The Work, I make the grade. I Do The Work, I get the job done. I Do The Work, the novel gets written. I Do The Work, things get better.

Except things don't always get better. Sometimes, when I Do The Work, I can't make the whole picture come together like I want it to. Sometimes, when I Do The Work, the other 50% doesn't get done because I can't do that part. And it's frustrating.

But I'm noticing. I'm noticing that I'm Doing The Work, and that's all I can do. And, for now, noticing is enough.

1 comment:

Julie said...

The thing with The Work is that it's a lot of damn work! The key is to keep doing it, don't give up because you aren't seeing an instant improvement. It took some time (your whole life) to get where you are now, as you see what needs fixing you can focus on that, then move past and see the next thing. It's slow, but it's worth it.
(Have you ever seen the movie "What About Bob?" Because The Work referrence sounds exactly like one of his lines.)