Thursday, September 23, 2010

Boundaries, Dammit

I got to talking with Dr. Sara today about applying the principles I'm learning across life, and not just in one particular situation. After all, making boundaries in one particular situation is all fine and good, but if you're not consistent, it's just a rule.

I have a set of relatives who do not drink. Not only do they not drink, but they also expect everyone else not to drink in their presence. This royally pisses Robbie off, and I always thought that was just him being defensive and unreasonable. Turns out, it's really their problem (and mine). If he wants to answer the door when they come over with a beer in his hand, it's just his way of expressing his boundaries. It's him saying, "You people may choose not to drink, but I choose to drink. I'm not going to force you to drink, but you can't force me not to drink."

In my head, I always understood that my relatives were being unreasonable, but my peacemaker nature wanted to avoid conflict and just do as they wished, so I never pushed it with them. If I felt like it would be nice to have a glass of wine with dinner, I wouldn't do it if they were around. But do you see where that's a problem? It's me allowing them to dictate how I feel and think and act. And it's me participating in their lie that, "We don't drink, so no one else should drink either."

Boundaries - Where You End And I Begin: How To Recognize And Set Healthy BoundariesAnd dammit all if it doesn't piss me off that I didn't see that. I should have seen that. Sigh.

Picking up a new book this week, Boundaries by Anne Katherine, and hoping that will give me a place to start working on all this stuff. It honestly amazes me how much stuff I've been doing that I don't even realize is unhealthy. But I'm slowly untwisting everything. Slowly. I'll get there.

3 comments:

Diva said...

Man, I hate when I find out I'm doing unhealthy things. I am awful about not setting boundaries and then getting trampled. Especially by my family. A lot. Maybe I should read that book. Or pitch it at someone when they cross my boundary.

Bona Fide Betty said...

I need a book like that, too. I actually have the exact same situation with not drinking around my parents, out of respect for their wishes. But really, would it kill them if I had a glass of wine? :)

Julie said...

I think I have the opposite problem, there are no boundaries in me. I flash my boobs (metaphorically speaking of course) whenever I feel like it. And when ever I get the stink eye from someone about my tattoos or my ratty jeans or my crappy little car I just smile hugely and wave like a lunatic. Hmm, maybe somewhere in the middle would be good.